Monday, October 15, 2012

let them eat chips!



i get annoyed when its my week to be soccer snack mom.
this may be partially because i have had 3 littles in the sport so i feel like i have done 8 trillion of these snack days, but really its because it is annoying to have a responsibility to get a snack that will be "a-ok" with everyone.

first you have to make sure you get a healthy snack or deal with the mom that "tsk's" you.
oh, what's healthy you ask?
well, if you have a mom on the team like ours pretty much everything is unhealthy even granola bars. apparently there is some sort of hydro something oil in packaged granola, i don't really know, i started to tune her out and do the head nod thing muttering, "oh really", and "uh-huh, wow" every so often. yawn.

then you have to figure out what will the kids like and what will they actually take and eat?
listen, i am the mom that could really give a flip what you give your kids to eat- that's your biz- i dont like the meddling mom- but i really, and i mean really do not want to get stuck with 20 boxes of raisins and what is now luke-warm string cheese packs.
yes, i know i will get stuck with these snacks because any kid over the age of 5 playing soccer doesn't want these things after a game.
at this age these littles are playing for snacks.
straight up snacks.
but im tellin ya, they are hopin' the snack are chips and cookies.

oh, side story:
a few seasons ago i heard about a mom who freaked out over gatorade being given to her child. i mean she had a mommy melt down of epic proportions where she even dumped the gatorade out onto the grass in front of her kid.
we are into being healthy and teaching our kids about eating right but wow. crazy much mama??
i certainly don't let my kids hibernate in their beds with a full bag of chips, a 6-pack of soda and starbursts stacked up one by one in all their sugary glory but man, let's relax a touch okay? its just a post game soccer snack. its not battery acid dipped lollipops.

so there i was friday, i opened this email:

Here are the event details:
Date/Time: Saturday, October 13, 2012, 11 AM to 12:30 PM
Arrival Time: 10:15 AM
Location: ..... Park
Opponent: Sliney
Home/Away: Home
Notes: Field 2
Snack - Pahukoa

pahukoa. that's me.
i am responsible to bring snacks to a team of 14 girls who are all 12-15 years old.
now the pressure of what to get becomes real.

oh, and on another note, i know whatever it is my daughter will not take it anyway. she doesn't care about snack, she no longer is playing for snack.
she is playing to make goals.
she is playing to be part of a team and win.
she is way too busy wiping the mud and the blood off her lip to grab a celery stick slathered in peanut butter.

snacks at this age are dumb. yes, i said it! dumb! they are a huge pain in the ass for the parent to get and lug around. im being honest here. at this age i can simply grab my kid a snack on the way home or she can wait until we get home.

but, i did have  a job to do and that is provide snackies to the 7th to 10th graders (puh-lease) so, my hawaiian went to costco to pick up snacks.

rice krispy treats. (evil smile) and a bag of clementines (coz this looks like im a good mom right?)

every kid took a krispy treat. i had to push the oranges.

i should have brought chips......



12 comments:

  1. Honey..you're just too nice. You care what people think of you. Buy chips and soda and tell them to talk to me if they have a problem with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kendra! I don't even have kids and I think that snacks at that age is ridiculous. My mom always bought a huge bag of oranges, have us (my brothers and me) help her cut them and then throw them and some string cheese into a huge Tupperware (wax paper between the two). I don't remember what she did for drinks then (that was 20 years ago :)) but I'm sure some of those baby bottles of water would do the trick. The girls can take it or leave it. Good luck!

    Katie Pea
    http://craftycrazylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know- its such a pain to even do at this age!

      Delete
  3. PIXIE STICKS FOR EVERYONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra, I was chuckling to myself when I read the part about you tuning out and yawning while some Mom tried to enlighten you about the perils of the hydro-something. That's funny. And it's so Me, too. I never could get too worked up over the snack stuff. And that Mom that pored out the Gatorade in front of her kid? I feel sorry for the kid. It's not the loss of a silly drink, it's the rigidity. I remember a Mom who went on a rampage about make-believe guns in our preschool, she demanded that no boys be allowed to 'pretend' they were cowboys and Indians or cops and robbers etc. She was so crazy I didn't even bother to get involved, but guess which boys were the ones most attracted to the toy weapons? HER kids. Sorry for rambling, I obviously liked your post. BTW- your daughter sounds like a great kid. xo-Leslie (aka Gwen Moss blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh yeah, i remember we had a mom in preschool that was all worked up over a boy who had a plastic gun and when they removed the toy he used his hand and created a gun with his thumb and pointer finger- haha. and thank you, my girl is a great lil kid :) have a good one leslie!

      Delete
  5. Your blogpost was so funny, really wish the mummy's read it:) I feel for you but don't give in:) The kids want a good snack after a good game of soccer. All the other mums are just being annoying. And you're so right why do they need snacks and can't their own mum just pack one... What's the big deal!!

    http://oddparent.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats the funniest thing to me, why do they need a snack at this age? thankfully its just once a year and I am done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious!! I am on board right there with you!! I would think at this age they would know if they need to feed themselves or not...I hope you brought extra diapers just in case...LOL I am all for my kids eating healthy too, but lets be real, they don't always eat the healthy crap! I am surprised those "healthy" moms even let their kids outside, god forbid with all the germs in this world!! I bet have those "health" moms are closet junk food eaters too... This post was awesome!! Thanks for linking up!!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bah ha ha!! That is so stinking funny Kendra! I can totally relate. Loved this! This summer after my son's baseball game one of the mom's brought otter pops which I thought was genius, but one of the other mom's had what you described up there and I'm pretty sure I just looked at her like "Really woman, get a grip it's a fricken otter pop.!"
    This is so so funny Kendra. I bet you didn't get stuck with any krispie treats ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously? over otter pops? i would have to kick dirt in her face....wait, did i just say that? im really a very nice person :)

      Delete