Friday, June 14, 2013

tissue paper tassel garland diy & the hunt

this last week was full of rushing and running and planning and hair pulling-my own of course.
my biggest little turned 18 a few weeks ago and then decided to go and graduate high school last week.
big. deep. breath.
i was fine until i woke up in the middle of the night and as i rose from a deep slumber i was suddenly jarred with this thought- "oh shit. i have an 18 year old."

whoever stole all these years and hit this fast forward button on my lil's childhood best be watchin their back coz i am huntin for ya! i am also deceivingly strong and surprisingly feisty. i have stories. trust that.

oh, graduation?
oh no, no worries life, i'm fine.
i'm trying to stay on balance as you smack me upside my head then bring it back around with a kick in my back.
but really, i'm fine.

saturday was her graduation bbq.
the hawaiian and i had different visions.
in my head i saw blankets layered all over the backyard with us all sipping out of ball jars with pretty striped straws, burgers, fluffy pink cupcakes, garlands, tassels and strings of white bulb lights with the toasting of late afternoon s'mores.
he had a luau in mind.
once he started pulling down all her old decorations from her very 1st birthday i had to just walk away. must i tear up at everything?!

well, i decided i was still gonna add some of my vision to this par-tay.  i have been long been admiring the look of tissue paper tassels and i love me a craft project.
this one is really easy but yes, i swore at least once while creating these. i think i burned myself with the glue gun, can't remember, anyone else swear while crafting? nobody? it happens. it's okay.



fold tissue paper in half

cut strips to whatever width you'd like leaving about 1-2" at the top where your fold is.

looks like this when you are finished with your strips.

pull one sheet off and open it laying it flat like this.

start to roll like shown.

once rolled you start to twist the center.

once twisted you will loop it as shown.

some people tape their loop, i hot glued it because i don't like the look of the tape as much-apparently i would rather burn myself with the glue gun. this is where you swear.

string your tassels through twine, string, ribbon or whatever you'd like. 
love how these turned out! might have to make some for father's day and hang them in the man cave-muuaahhhhaaaa!!

oh, before i forget, aloha friday y'all!
now off to find that sorry sucka father time. he's goin' down!!




10 comments:

  1. Cute! I saw somebody post these about 2 weeks ago but I feel like they skipped a step because I understand your tutorial so much better :) Huge Congrats to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out soooo adorable!!!! And yay for graduating! It's normal to be that emotional...at least that is what I tell myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog!!
    Now following.
    looking forward to getting to know you and keeping up!

    I am doing a free blog design giveaway. Check it out! :)

    xo
    Christina
    pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's lovely and so effective. You could party-up almost any room with one of them.

    Visiting from the Aloha Friday Blog hop, pop by and visit sometime.

    Have a good weekend,

    Sarabeth
    Life of an Agnostic Sunday School Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I've never seen these before. You're inspiring me. I'm thinking reds, purples, and orange . . . Nothing like a fun craft project. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great deco solution fo my wedding. Pinned it, thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love this DIY...how awesome and it looks fairly simple too! So cute with the pink

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! Thank you so much for sharing!! What a great idea!!
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I'm a little late to the party, but congrats to your daughter for graduating high school! And that is such a great idea with the tissue paper! I'm actually excited to try it out myself!

    ReplyDelete