Thursday, August 16, 2012

cell phone children


i was recently at a birthday party when i had a mom ask me if my 12 year old reallllly had a cell phone.

it was a question that had the attached accusatory tone of, "oh my gawd, you are a sucky mom coz you have handed your child her very own cell phone (gasp), a toxic, evil device that can ruin her for life and make her a social mute. it will probably explode in her hands and i am wondering why you are so lame as to hand this tiny innocent child a device that should only be in the hands of a responsible adult".

yea, i know. that tone. the tone i dont do so well with.

clearly you could see my 12 year old across the room, cell phone in hand, taking photos of the birthday boy with it.
was this a trick question?? i was tempted to answer and say, "why no, of course she doesn't", just to mess with her. i would then just deny it was even in my daughters hand slowly making party mom crazy and believe that she was seeing things. i mean, how else do you entertain yourself at a kids party?!

ok, so this is how i really handled it which i think you will agree is MUCH more mature of me.

me: "yep, she sure does". then, because i am me, i added, "and its an iphone4."
her: "uh, really" ?
(ok, why is she asking again???- now this is just her asking it again so she can drive home how wrong she thinks this is and how much i suck).
me: "she has had a cell since she was in 4th grade".  blink. blink. (now i am just having fun)
her: she put on her biggest wide eyes and gave the whole, whoa, wow i think you're a mess look.
me: grin

its not like the cell phone came attached with a pack of cigarettes and a shot of whiskey.
it came with a side of safety, and a side of comfort knowing you can always get to me or your dad if you should need us and vice-versa.

here is my thing on cell phones. it may not be your thing and that is okay.

i actually do not believe every young child needs a cell phone.
the child that starts a new school that is a 45 minute bus ride away, that she takes alone, without her 2 older siblings, as a 4th grader, needs a cell phone.
mom and dad need her to have a cell phone.

oh, and it's nunyobiz!


i also let my kid wear dangerous 4" heels too! well, not really but a girls gotta learn sometime- might as well be in the safety of her own home right under my superior supervision dontchathink?

10 comments:

  1. Damn right it's nobody's business! "It's not like the cell phone came attached with a pack of cigarettes and a shot of whiskey" LOL. Hilarious. And for the record, I think it was smart of you to get her a cell phone. I wonder if the anti-cell-phone lady will ever read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! No one's business but your's on if you want to give a cell phone or not. These days, though, it almost seems safer to let them have one. Plus, a lot of cell phone companies have all the parenting stuff to control what the kids do on the phones. My boys will probably end up with cell phones when they get a bit older (they're only 3 yrs and 10 mos right now).

    Newest follower from Mommy-Brain Mixer!

    - Jaime
    mrsmamapanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five, babe! OMG I'm still laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sly grin mama! And good for you for doing what is best for your family, shamelessly!

    We'd love for you to link up to our new weekly blog hop- photo friday- any of your fav. pictures from any posts are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *gasp*
    okay, just messing with you!! I believe it is none of my business too what you choose for your kids!! (as long as it isn't something abusive etc..you know what I mean!)
    I really HATE other people standing in judgement of some one else's kid. You handled it well!!

    Do visit me when you get chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping over from the GFC Blog HOP! This is the best thing I have read all day!!! I agree with everything you said...Even the heels, what kind of mom's would we be if our girls didn't wear heels!!
    Thanks for the good laugh!
    Heidi
    www.mustachemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious post! :oD you rock!

    The "Weekend Wanderings" brought me here :) new follower!
    Hope you are having a good one!

    Smooches from Germany,
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, your child, your choice. I agree with you that its a safety thing, its a scary world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kendra, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks chris, im following back. looks like the retired life is looking good on you! have a great day! thanks for visiting me :)

      Delete